Dr. Jesus P. Estanislao and Dr. Bernardo M. Villegas established the Center for Research and Communication (CRC), a private, not-for-profit think-tank that catered to private sector businesses by analyzing developments in the business economic environment and translating their implications on business strategy.
CRC was formally inaugurated in its second site: 1607 Bocobo St., Malate, Manila.
The first batch of Master of Science in Industrial Economics (MSIE) students graduated.
CRC moved to its new site in Ortigas Center, Pasig City.
The Center for Food and Agribusiness (CFA) was established.
Bishop Alvaro del Portillo, then prelate of Opus Dei, reminded CRC of the challenge of St. Josemaría Escrivá to consider putting up a university in the soonest time possible owing to its greater influence on society.
(March 19) The College of Arts and Sciences was put up as a start-off for university conversion. There were 158 enrollees.
The first Equatorial Rites was held.
The Sancta Maria Stella Orientis Oratory was first inaugurated.
(April 25) The first batch of CAS students graduated.
(August 15) The School of Economics was established.
(September 15) The School of Education (now named School of Education and Human Development) was established.
(June 26) CRC officially became the University of Asia and the Pacific (UA&P) created via conversion by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
(August 15) UA&P was installed in a formal academic rite led by CHED Chairman Angel Alcala, Education Secretary Gloria, and Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Rosario Lopez.
(November 28) Dr. Jesus P. Estanislao was installed as UA&P’s first president. The Regional Vicar of Opus Dei in the Philippines, Fr. Ramon Lopez, is conferred the honorary title of Vice Grand Chancellor of the University.
UA&P put up a straight five-year master’s program.
(December 6) The School of Management (SMN) was established.
(June 15) UA&P held its first Graduation Rites.
The first University play was staged. “Masdan ang Iyong Ina” was directed by Antonio V.S. Flores and Reynaldo Antonio J. Leuterio.
(November 28) Dr. Mario D. Camacho was installed as the second University President.
The seven-story APEC Communications Building was completed.
(August 12) The University’s Honorary Grand Chancellor, Bishop Javier Echevarría, visited UA&P.
(November 28) Dr. Jose Maria Mariano was installed as the third University President.
UA&P became the first Philippine university to offer a mandatory subject on corporate social responsibility ahead of the CHED Memo 39 issued in 2006.
The 1st Marketing Communication Effectiveness Awards (precursor of the Asia Pacific Tambuli Awards) is launched, the only award in the country that salutes marketing communications campaigns that carry both business and societal values.
(October 7) The first Eucharistic procession in UA&P was held.
(April 29) The School of Communication was established.
Bishop Javier Echevarría visited UA&P for the second time.
(November 15) The School of Sciences and Engineering was established.
The Leo Parma-AsiaPro Professorial Chair for Social Entrepreneurship was created.
(June 22) The School of Law and Governance (SLG) was established.
The Mariano and Estelita de Jesus Que Professorial Chair on Family and Education Youth was created.
UA&P became the first university in the Philippines to publish a sustainability report following the reporting framework of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI).
The BPI Professorial Chair for Migration and Overseas Filipino Work was created.
UA&P became the first organization in Asia to be granted the Corporate Family Responsibility (CFR) accreditation by the International Center for Work and Family (ICWF) of the IESE Business School (Instituto de Estudios Superiores de la Empresa) in Spain.
UA&P switched on its 300kW photovoltaic solar power system, making it the first school in Pasig City, and perhaps the first university in the Philippines, to switch to solar power.
The Parking and Sports Building was completed.
Dr. Winston Conrad B. Padojinog was installed as the fourth University President.
CHED designated the Teacher Education program of UA&P as a Center of Development.
CHED officially granted Autonomous Status to UA&P.
Get in touch
Pearl Drive, Ortigas Center, Pasig City 1605, Philippines